Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default what is the differences between whole house surge protectors?

In article ,
"Gary" wrote:

Its quite simple. I want a whole house surge protector and my panel is a
Siemens. I went to their site and they had 2 options of surge suppression.
I have lots of digital and electronic equipment in my house and I want to
protect it.

Why are you asking such an odd questions as "why would I want one at all"?
"A thousand choices"? What is that about. I said I had two choices. And I
know I want one of them.

Thankfully there are people on this NG who ARE helpful and knowledgeable.

But thanks for your "I don't know".

Ah, you want helpful and knowledgeable. OK, here's one: Don't top post.

If you don't know why you want a surge protector, then you're just
another sucker with too much money, who believes in imaginary goblins in
the power line.

Now, if you know for sure that your incoming AC is afflicted with a
certain anomaly, and you know for certain that some one or more of your
toys are susceptible to that anomaly, then by all mean, buy the gizmo
that fits the bill.

Otherwise, just get a couple of $10 power strips that are "guaranteed"
to protect all your "sensitive electronics." You know, $2 for the
hardware, and $8 for the insurance premium.

Your digital and electronic equipment does *not* run on 120 VAC, by the
way. Let's see, first it goes through a transformer, then a rectifier,
then a few filters, then a regulator or two. Which mosquito on the AC
line was it that survives all that, again? I keep forgetting.