Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Stripped gib thread fix?

On Mar 2, 9:31 pm, philski wrote:
tom wrote:
I have an 8" chiwanese jointer, and one of the knife gibs' threads
seems to have stripped out. There are 5 gib screws on the piece, and
the stripped one is on the outboard end. Naturally, I'd prefer not to
run the machine without all the keepers properly in place. Any and all
ideas would be very appreciated. Tom

I think HeliCoils work pretty good. I have used them in the past. Give
em a look:

http://www.helicoil.in/helicoil.htm

see what you think. They are available in a variety of English (SAE) and
metric sizes.

Otherwise, braze the original hold and drill and re-tap..

Philski

That's (brazing) what worked. Thanks! Tom