Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Bearings and Thrust Problems...

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:49:58 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Hardened, helical internal gears and ER-style spindles. ER16M

-------------
Sounds like a quality unit.

Most customers think so. grin

This is the first problem unit I've had in 6 years that the cause wasn't
readily available... Until today that is...

Customer just told me another interesting tibdit... They are breaking
drills (twisting them apart in the bushing) so there is definitly a set-up
problem on their end... We shall see!

Side loading? Sticking? Too aggressive a feed rate? Interrupted
cut from hitting the void of a crossdrill port? Or breaking through
an angled inner surface? Wrong sharpening angle and they are
grabbing? Working dry?

Buying their drill bits from the Peoples' Noodle Factory and Steel
Works to save a few pennies?

I'm sure you can list some even more esoteric reasons...

Try analyzing their materials, then send them a fresh head with a
dozen matching good bits (and reccomended feeds/speeds chart), and a
quart of your favorite cutting oil, and have them try it again. And if
it's an interrupted cut at any point, go slow and easy till past it.

If it all of a sudden goes smooth as butter... ;-)

-- Bruce --