Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Has anyone taken apart an Electric Water Heater?

Stormin Mormon wrote:
OK, lets take a look at the two procedures which have been
described.
1) The Chris procedure. Open TP vavle to relieve pressure.
Close both the TP valve, and all the hot faucets. Put the
necessary thread sealant on the new element. Remove the
element, and replace as quickly as possible, while still
being careful. A little bit of water comes out the element
hole, can't be avoided. Since the faucets upstairs are
closed, the vapor lock helps hold the water in the heater. A
helper uses a bucket or pan, and catches as much of the
water as possible.
2) A smug, condescending asshole Dufas goes to change the
elements on electric water heater. Confidently and smugly,
he derides that good for nothing Mormon guy. Dufas closes
the TP valve, and opens the hot water faucets. Loosening the
heater element, gravity pulls water out of the hole left by
the element. Air rushes in the hot water faucet, the water
pours out of the element hole, as air rushes in the hot
water faucet(s) upstairs. Dufas pours water all over the
floor, curses, and runs to get a mop. All the time declaring
how superior he is, to that dumb Mormon. Dufas turns water
on, water sprays out the threads, the new element doesn't
have any thread sealer.

Yeah, you got me that time. I really look stupid. Can I hand
you a towel?

You still misread my post and along with top posting
has probably led to your confusion. I don't recall
ever being nasty to you or having any reason to be.
If a little harmless ribbing or teasing gets you
bent out of shape, I feel sorry for you. If I offended
you, I wasn't trying to. After relieving the pressure
in the tank, I always close everything before removing
the element. I've been doing it that way for four
decades and now I have to deal with those newfangled
tankless water heaters, I've installed them but haven't
had to repair any of them.

God will get you.

TDD