Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default How to remove a tile without breaking it.

Red Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

wrote:
I have three porcelain tiles that have that hollow sound when you
walk on them or tap them with a tool. Obviously the thinset was
either put on too thin or the tile just did not adhere to it. The
tiles are on a concrete slab and I would like to remove them and
reset them. Are there any tricks to any easy removal? Chisel out
the group and try to pop them up?

Watch the Fein Multimaster demonstration video where they show how to
remove grout, then the tile, with their tool.
http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/...er_video.php?v
idname=muma_05

Then go to Harbor Freight and buy the equivalent tool

Now that the patent on the Fein tool has expired, Harbor Freight,
Dremel, Bosch, and others are producing equivalent devices.

Well it shows them breaking the replacement tile which is what the OP
is trying to avoid.

But I learned something from the propaganda vid. Segmented saw blade.
Not familiar with them! I could have used one of them countless times.

How does it work/rotate since the the fat side is not moving?
Can you really get right into the corner? Or just pretty close?

I got one from HF when they first went on sale. For what it does, it does
remarkably well. I've used it to undercut door jambs for putting down
flooring, cutting openings in sheetrock for electrical boxes, finishing out
a cut-out in laminate that was mostly done with a table saw, cutting
plexiglass, and other piddly things.

It doesn't rotate, it vibrates. You can put your finger, or even a balloon,
against the blade and nothing happens. I suppose it depends on the work
being stiff - like a reciprocating saw. You have to pay attention when using
it on a clitoris.

The blades from different manufacturers (Fein, Dremel, HF, Bosch, etc.) are
interchangable so you can get the tool from one and the consumables from
another.