Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Portable Line Boring

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 12:55:51 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Mar 2, 2:05*pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:
I'm seeking thoughts, insight, tips or tricks relating to portable line
boring. I have a backhoe, and when it was built, LBJ was president.

How big, how long, how smooth/accurate?

I've cobbled up a few hole-aligning rigs from reamers and drill rod.
AFAIK a single-bit boring bar needs controlled feed but you might be
able to drive a shell mill with a hand drill.

----------
Some of the old old time machinist's books [reprints] that
Lindsay books sells covers the technique of boring a cylinder in
place including line drawings of the set-up. This apparently was
for steam engines with the cast iron of the day, so I don't know
about the accuracy.
http://lindsaybks.com/prod/index.html

if you have a high speed internet connection and adobe reader
installed [free] download
http://books.google.com/books?id=eeE...WdJ4RR4lQBPCCs
and take a look at pages 224-230 [247 on reader]

Looks like a perfect RCM project. Lots of moving parts and
dangerous as hell.
Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils: