Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Portable Line Boring

I bet my backhoe is older than your backhoe, and even if it isn't, I bet
mine is uglier,
Pete Stanaitis

Looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down. My Sherman is 55-60 years old
and looks it. It sits on a Ford NAA golden Jubilee (1953) I think it came
with the hoe but can't be sure.

Are you boring out pivots that have wore out? I repaired mine by
bolting/welding/clamping a plate orthogonal to the hole. Then using a mag
drill to enlarge the hole. You'll need a sacrificial piece to start the
drill and then act as a drill bushing. When you're close use an expanding
reamer to ream perfectly perpendicular.

An alternate to enlarging is to weld in the pivot point then die grind kinda
close before doing the above.

Its not that bad a job to do it this way once you've done one to get the
hang of it. I've rebuilt loader, scraper and backhoe pivots this way.

HOWEVER, I did buy a monster radial drill press to make this job easy. Of
course, I waited to buy the drill until after I had all my equipment
rebuilt.

Karl