Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Portable Line Boring

Ecnerwal wrote:

I'm seeking thoughts, insight, tips or tricks relating to portable line
boring. I have a backhoe, and when it was built, LBJ was president.

Self aligning pillow block bearings like:
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images...gs/5967K31.gif

Shafting that fits bore of bearing.

Cross drill it for a piece of a square HSS lathe bit. Use a square file to square only
the corners of the hole so the HSS won't rotate and tap it for a set screw to press the
bit out each pass.

Now you have something you can pass though your boss from one side to another. The
bearing nearest the boss will support the cutting forces.

If you buy yourself a third similar bearing, you can lock that one to the shaft and use
two pieces of threaded rod to pull the bar though. Welding a couple nuts to your work
piece to hold the rods and using nuts on the bearing flange will let you create a forced
feed of sorts.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller