Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_2_] Ecnerwal[_2_] is offline

Default Portable Line Boring

In article ,
spaco wrote:

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but why not have it
done for you, since you are probably only going to have it done once?
Friends of mine in Rochester, MN run a fab shop/repair welding company
where they do exactly what you are talking about on a regular basis.
There must be others.

Not much in Backside of Nowhere, Vermont. I went though a round of
trying to get this done a few years back - I was able to get one part
done at a local machine shop (the "shoulder" casting from the backhoe,
or main pivot, which I could get into the truck and bring to them), but
I couldn't find anyone for love nor money to do the matching part on the
hoe, so it's clap-trapped together with a new bushing, and key stock +
"plastic titanium" (whoop de do, a lousy 18KSI, but it's better than
"plastic steel" at 9KSI) to hold the bushing in the oval hole.

I looked at renting a portable line boring rig, and about gagged on that
price, too - pretty much the cost of buying one new. I might be able to
haul the thing a few hours to have someone work on it, but hauling it
costs money, and having it worked on by someone else costs more money.

You can hire folks that will drive in from wherever and do this sort of
work for you, but they are big bucks - nice to have on call if your
factory is down due to a spun bearing, not so much for your personal
backhoe...

Exceeding its actual value in repair costs is quite feasible down that
road, and that's not an amount of money I'd like to put towards this
project.