Posted to alt.home.repair
trader-of-some-jacks trader-of-some-jacks is offline

Default Shower stall leaks into kitchen & caulking didn't fix it

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:45:57 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:

One final thought: I'm contemplating duct taping a plastic dry cleaner
bag along the shower wall in question, just to see if, with the wall
covered, the leaking stops, since I'm pretty discouraged after doing
the best caulking job I've ever done, and having that NOT be the
answer. How useful will this approach be as an investigative tool?

Do the plastic thing. Cover the whole wall, from the shower head down to the
floor. Problem solved? Then cut off some of the bottom and try again. Repeat as
necessary. My guess is that the problem will recur when you uncover the
controls, because water is likely leaking through the holes behind them.

I'd already "done the plastic thing" by the time of the above post,
and so far, so good. Two showers taken this morning, and no water
from the ceiling.

The plastic is about waist-high in the shower, down to the caulk line
where the tile hits the pan. Yes, I goofed up; I should have had the
plastic lower to eliminate any exposure to the lowest grout on the
wall. But even so, like I said, no leaks.

The single-handle faucet, and the plate on which it's mounted, were
fully exposed to the flying water, and the droplets going down the
wall.

I'm going to repeat this experiment the next few days, and hopefully
get the same "no leaks" results. Not looking forward to grouting, but
beats every other option, hands down.