Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman Lawn Mower Overfilled With Oil

You didn't mention if it was a walk behind mower, or a
rider. Sounds like you didn't kill the mower. Just need to
drain the oil out, and start over. Also unthread the spark
plug, and run the start mechanism to blow out any excess oil
from the cylinder. Might need a new air filter. Put in the
correct volume of new oil, and fire it up. Will likely smoke
for a while as the excess oil burns out.

Air cooled engines need a high quality oil. Castrol,
Penzoil, something like that. They run hotter than water
cooled automobiles.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"pbarts" wrote in
message
om...
My one year old Craftsman mower was overfilled with oil
(unbeknowst to me)
a few days ago, was started, but never got as far as cutting
any grass
(lazy son, not the mower). I went out to cut the grass this
afternoon and
had trouble starting it. I checked the gas then checked the
oil and found
that the oil level went a couple inches up the dipstick
where full is
about 1/3 inch. Apparently there was so much in it, it was
spraying out
of the air filter. I drained a bunch out of it and let it
set for awhile.
I tried it again, and it started momentarily, belching out
a huge cloud
of white smoke. Tried one more time getting a smaller cloud
of smoke
before it died.

What is my best option at this point? Does it need to be
stripped down or
can I salvage it some other way? Any suggestions or
recommendations would
be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Paul B.