Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Martin Riddle Martin Riddle is offline

Default Zero voltage out from 741 comparator

"mlawson" wrote in message
I'm trying to put together a comparator using a 741 op amp and the
output goes high as it should, but only goes to about 2volts when it
should be low. I'm only using a 5v single ended supply for power. The
+ input to the op amp is set at 2.5v and the - input is the input
value to be compared. There is no feedback resistor and I'm wondering
if that might be the problem. I'm open to any ideas anyone has.
Thanks, Mike Lawson

Unless you capacitive coupled the 741 it will not work properly in a
single supply configuration.
Add a -5v supply.

Cheers