Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default OTish: straw plaiting

Joy Beeson wrote in message

I haven't a clue about plaiting straw, but one of the plaits used by
bobbin lacers might also serve to control fine wires -- you can make
any number of wires into a wide plait of the same sort as the
three-plait you are familiar with.

I've never done wire lace myself, and only the first tentative steps
in thread lace, but I *think* I remember what "cross" and "twist" mean
well enough to explain how:

The beginning ends of the wires should be anchored in some way.

I am presuming that you don't want to wind the wires onto bobbins,
which would allow you to handle four wires at a time.

Pick up the two outside wires at one side and lift the right-hand wire
over the left-hand wire. Pull gently to make the twist run up to
where you want it to be. Pick up the next two wires, twist them like
the first pair, continue across.

If there is an odd wire left over, pick it up together with the
outermost of the wires that have been twisted. Lift the left-hand
wire over the right-hand wire, pull gently so that the cross runs up
to where you want it to be. Cross each pair of wires until you get
back to where you started.

If there was an even number of wires (there always is in bobbin lace,
as bobbins are used in pairs), set aside the first wire and cross the
next two, continue crossing until you get back to the beginning.

In either case, there should be an odd wire left over when you get
back to the start. Pick it up together with the last wire that you
crossed. Twist back to where you started crossing.

Etc.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing

Another potential use for Dunstable or Tuscan plait is making up flat but
thin rubber drive belts for certain types of equipment. The flat belts
available are either too long (vinyl decks) or too thick (unless the length
is just right , the tension in the band overloads the low rev motors).
But using 7 strands of 1mm rubber cord plaited together may just work. I've
previously tried 3-ply plaiting of 3 flats of 3ply plait but it was only
just about useable. So is it possible to make a flat ring by returning the
end to the start ?
Yesterday I contacted strawcraftsmen.co.uk and someone there emailed back to
confirm that it was possible. At the moment I'm practising DP with 7 lengths
of rubber cord. At least with this use it is possible to knot the returns on
the non-active face of the flat, the "men of straw" doing it means a slight
staggered lumpiness in the area of the join , because of overlapping.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England