Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Matt Heffron[_2_] Matt Heffron[_2_] is offline

Default What's your opinion and advice re turning Brazilian Pepper?

Arch,
Brazilian Pepper is Schinus terebinthifolius which is in theAnacardiaceae
family which includes cashew, pistachio, mango, sumac, and poison-ivy!
This is why some people react badly to it.
It can be an excellent turning wood. It can move quite a bit when drying
and sometimes will just tear itself apart.
The burls can often pull themselves open to a fantastic lace effect.
It is not for functional saladware.
I've turned some California Pepper which is closely related, and it turned
out pretty well:
http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll/c/...I1M/sid/G6kOAI
http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll/c/...I1N/sid/G6kOAI
http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll/c/...JV0/sid/G6kOAI
http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll/c/...VGJ/sid/G6kOAI

And some links to a few other pepperwood turnings:
http://www.aawforum.org/photopost/sh...php?photo=4475
http://www.aawforum.org/photopost/sh....php?photo=622
http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll/c/...il/1/~/web.jpg

Matt

"Arch" wrote in message

I imagine that every known timber has been turned by somebody,
somewhere. Some Floridians turn ficus, Australian pine, melaleuca, slash
pine and such. I don't, but I am thrifty and not pleased with waste. How
about turning Brazilian Pepper, aka Florida Holly and Christmas Berry?

The trees are subtropical, but aren't native to Fla. They grow rapidly
and have taken over here as trash trees. I see many logs from lot
clearing along the streets and of course I wonder about turning them.
I've heard that there is some toxicity involved, especially on burning
the leaves. Similar to the toxic effects of Oleander?

Before I waste time and poison myself, I'd appreciate some advice from
anyone who has experience in turning this "illegal Brazilian immigrant".

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter