Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Craftsman Lawn Mower Overfilled With Oil

"pbarts" wrote in message
om...
My one year old Craftsman mower was overfilled with oil (unbeknowst to me)
a few days ago, was started, but never got as far as cutting any grass
(lazy son, not the mower). I went out to cut the grass this afternoon and
had trouble starting it. I checked the gas then checked the oil and found
that the oil level went a couple inches up the dipstick where full is
about 1/3 inch. Apparently there was so much in it, it was spraying out
of the air filter. I drained a bunch out of it and let it set for awhile.
I tried it again, and it started momentarily, belching out a huge cloud
of white smoke. Tried one more time getting a smaller cloud of smoke
before it died.

What is my best option at this point? Does it need to be stripped down or
can I salvage it some other way? Any suggestions or recommendations would
be very appreciated.

I did that to myself on a generator one day. The oil had gotten up in the
carburetor and I had to clean it out. You may need to check the spark plug
.. I poured about a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug hole and the generator
would run for about 3 seconds and quit. That was a 10 hp motor.