Posted to alt.home.repair
Len56[_2_] Len56[_2_] is offline

Default NEC and new electric panel locations

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

*RBM is correct. The panel in the kitchen would most likely be considered
a subpanel because you will have a main breaker at the service entrance
location close to the electric meters.

That's partly what I am trying to figure out. If I get new service put in,
I'll need to figure out where the service will come into the building and
where the panle will be in each apartment. My understanding is that there
needs to be a service disconnect near where hte service enters the building;
and, the tenants in each apartment have to have access to a service
disconnect -- which, to me, means a panel box in each apartment each
apartment.

Does this mean I can do both? -- 1) have a main service disconnect for each
of the new electric services near where each service enters the building
(i.e. near the meters) which I or a service person could access, AND, 2)
have a service panel in each apartment with a main breaker so the tenants in
each apartment would have access to shut off their own service entirely or
they could also shut off individual breakers?

In other words, the electrician can bring in the 3 services wherever it is
most convenient, place service disconnects there which would not be
accessible to the tenants, and then run the power from there to a panel in
each apartment with a main breaker and individual breakers which those
tenants could access?

Read article 110.26 for more details on where to locate. 230.70 refers to
the bathroom, but not kitchen. I agree with RBM that a kitchen location
would not be the best place. It would take up too much space due to the
working clearances required. GE makes white circuit breaker panels that
are sold at Lowes just for apartments and condos.

Thanks. I read read the parts you mentioned. I could fit the panels in the
3 kitchens fairly easily, but the clear space in front of each panel from
the flor up to the top of the panel wouldn't be practical. So, I guess the
kitchen idea is a no-go.