Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Shower stall leaks into kitchen & caulking didn't fix it

bob haller wrote:
On Mar 1, 3:45?pm, "Bob F" wrote:
trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
One final thought: I'm contemplating duct taping a plastic dry
cleaner bag along the shower wall in question, just to see if, with
the wall covered, the leaking stops, since I'm pretty discouraged
after doing the best caulking job I've ever done, and having that
NOT be the answer. ?How useful will this approach be as an
investigative tool?

Do the plastic thing. Cover the whole wall, from the shower head
down to the floor. Problem solved? Then cut off some of the bottom
and try again. Repeat as necessary. My guess is that the problem
will recur when you uncover the controls, because water is likely
leaking through the holes behind them.

Mine had a valve leak in the wall it turned into a all day job
replacing the valve, went from 3 handles to single handle temp balance
delta.

Since the problem didn't occur for the OP unless someone is in the shower, that
would probably not be the case here.