Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default NEC and new electric panel locations

RBM wrote:
"Len56" wrote in message
I am trying to find if it is permissible to locate new electric
panels in a kitchen. I read somewhere that they cannot be located
in a bathroom or a kitchen.

However, I can read the 2008 National Electrical Code online
(through the http://HowToWireAHouse.com website), and I can only
find where it says that the new panel cannot be located in a
bathroom. I don't see anything regarding kitchens.

Perhaps you found something more current, but according to that web
site, it's written on the 2005 NEC, not the 2008. Also, that is an
interpretation of that person's opinoin of the code in many places and
not the code itself. Fortunately there are links to the actual code in
a lot of place, but one must be sure to read everything.

I'd also like to point out that the NEC includes the MINIMUMS that must
be adhered to. To find out what you would really have to do, you would
have to check with your Local Code Enforcement Office or Officer. They
will often have many additions over and above the NEC so they are the
last word on everything. That's really the only place you can get an
authoritative answer to your question. e.g. I's possible for the NEC to
not forbid panels in the kitchen but local code may indeed have such a
requirement.
Assuming you have a good electrician, he's going to know also, or be
able to pretty quickly find out. About the best you can hope for on
this group are guesses, especially when you haven't mentioned where the
bldgs are.

HTH,

Twayne

Can anyone point me to where it says in the 2008 NEC (if it does)
that new electric panels cannot be located in a kitchen?

The reason that I am asking is that I am planning to have a lot of
work done in a 3-family property that I own, and I am thinking of
having new electric services put in for all 3 units. If I do that,
it will be done by an electrician with a permit and inspection etc.
But, in planning for where I would want to locate the new electric
panels, it would help if I knew whether they could be placed in the
kitchens of each of the 3 units. In the end, I know I'll have to ask
the electrician who ends up doing the work, but before dragging any
electricans out to the property to look at the job, I'd rather get
some info on my own. Your "service disconnecting means" cannot be in
a bathroom. Your
service disconnecting means are not going to be in each apt either,
they will be either outside the building or inside the building and
grouped together at one location. The panelboards for each apartment
can be located in a kitchen, or bathroom for that matter, as long as
all panelboard locations requirements are met. It would seem to me
that an area of hallway, if applicable, would be a better location