Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Shower stall leaks into kitchen & caulking didn't fix it

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 11:08:50 -0500, "
wrote:

Define "ugly". Got pin-holes or fine cracks? If you spray water on it,
does water soak in or bead? Is there caulk around the plumbing
openings? What is on the other side of the wall from the plumbing fixtures?

Ugly just meant there's some mildew and discoloration on the grout.
It's dirty, but seemingly intact. No guarantees that it's absent
pin-holes or fine cracks, but none that I can see.

No caulk around the plumbing fixture outer perimeters, although a
plumber put these in and I know he used caulk between them and the
wall.

On the other side of the wall from the plumbing fixtures is another
bathroom wall, with no plumbing on it.
Is shower floor tiled, too?

He meant, on the other side of the wall BEHIND the plumbing fixtures.
Hopefully it backs up to a bedroom closet or linen closet, where you can
easily cut in an access panel, thereby avoiding trashing the tile. Not
so easy if the wet wall backs up to hallway or master bedroom or living
room or something, where even a trimmed-in access panel would be
considered too ugly to stand. But even in those situations, patching
drywall and painting, is usually cheaper than redoing tile. If I ever
hit the lotto and build my dream house, the layout will be tuned so all
the plumbing has access hatches built in as the finish trim is done. (I
hate patching drywall.)

--
aem sends...