Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Shower stall leaks into kitchen & caulking didn't fix it

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote in message

The spot in my ceiling is directly under a corner of the shower stall
in my bathroom - same side as the shower fixtures, at the entrance to
the shower.

Because I thought the caulk and grout looked okay, I called a plumber.
Plumber checked out the drain and it was okay, fixtures seemed okay,
and he suggested that I recaulk, just because it had been several
years since I did that.

As I said, the plumber "blessed" the drain and the fixtures, and ran
the shower without standing in it, and there was no leakage.

The ceiling is going to need repair, why not remove a section and take a
look while someone showers?

Since it does not leak with no on in the shower, it is probably not the
drain. IMO, it is not the water bouncing off a person, but the weight. The
bottom pan of the shower may be depressed just enough that the water is
getting around the drain flange. It may then run along the bottom of the
pan and drip to one side or the other. It may have to be re-sealed or
re-gasketed, it may also need some support. Weight may also be opening some
other gaps but I can't suggest anything not knowing the construction.