Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Stripped gib thread fix?

On Mar 1, 10:20 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

"tom" wrote

I have an 8" chiwanese jointer, and one of the knife gibs' threads
seems to have stripped out. There are 5 gib screws on the piece, and
the stripped one is on the outboard end. Naturally, I'd prefer not to
run the machine without all the keepers properly in place. Any and all
ideas would be very appreciated. Tom

First thing I'd try is to ream it with the same size tap in the hopes that
may fix it ... sometimes worth a shot. Next would be to find a size larger
gib screw and tap if for that.

Strangely enough, I'm waiting, as we speak, for a hardware store to open
to try and find a 1/4", 20 threads to the inch, gib screw to fix a similar
problem, although not on a jointer.

Good luck ...

Good suggestions but also consider a couple of other alternatives.
Heli-coil inserts, and or Mold-in insert. The last is/was a product made by
Permatex. You would clean out the damaged thread area of debris, put in an
epoxy type material in the hole with the intended bolt inserted into the
mixture. The bolt being used would be coated with an anti-seize compound so
that it would not adhere to the mixture. After the mixture hardened/ cured
you would screw out the bolt and use as you normally would.

Hmm, Permatex mold-in. Along the lines of J-B weld would you say, or
have there been improvements in epoxy technology? I'm stopping at the
hardware store during today's bike ride to check out that option.
Thanks very much. Tom