Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Sketchup 7

wrote in message
On Feb 28, 3:06 pm, "Leon" wrote:
As you get into more complex projects it does help to draw a complete
model
of drawers or doors, or what have you, to see how they will fit together
inside a cabinet or case. In my case the model of the drawer helps me to
make certain that the rabbits on the front and backs of the jewelry chest
drawers do not interfere with the dado's in the sides of the drawer sides
that I cut for the drawer slide. Then the overall size of the drawer
helps
me to see how far back it will fit in relationship to the back of the
cabinet or chest.

But you can get most of that from just a plain box. To actually go in
and draw the dovetails on the drawer is kind of crazy. Though I
realize the drawing was teaching aid so I can understand doing some
things just for the sake of doing them.

I absolutely agree on the details of the DT joints and mortise and tenons,
although some times doing one of the mortise and tennon joints can be
helpful if you are using that joint on a side and back of a narrow leg that
you may be attaching a long apron to. I built a walnut desk last summer and
seeing the inside of the joint using the x-ray view let me see if the
tennons were going to come in contact with each other. I was able to offset
the aprons a bit more so that this did not happen.

You can add in extra detail where you need it, but to start from a
philosophy of every detail must be in the drawing is well, different
from mine

Agreed, as mentioned above.

I've done models where I only put in three legs and two
sides. I think while you certainly can get a lot of power out of
sketchup with making everything components and using layers, you can
also just whip up something quick and dirty that's enough to get you
going.

Agreed, and again especially if it is a comcept that you have done time and
again. I don't really draw drawer details for a kitchen redo any more
although I will draw the drawer so that I know howmany of which pieces to
plan for. I use Cutlist Plus all the time tell me how much wood to buy.

More planning on the drawing keeps me from having to plan
during the actual construction phase.

What's so bad about thinking while you're building? I think better on
my feet, and I started woodworking in part because I was sick of
sitting at a computer all the time. When I'm thinking in the shop I
have a chance to grab the broom or make it so I can see the top of the
bench again. Going into the shop without all the answers
predetermined is fun!

Nothing really bad about doing the detail solving in the shop, that is the
way that I started doing it in the late 70's and early 80's. I drew a
concept and worked it out in the shop/garage. I'll admit that I built some
pretty nice stuff that I still use today but geez it took a long time to
complete a project. I built a dresser that way and I think it took me 3
months of working on weekends. I also would have to make 2 or 3 trips back
to my wood supplier to get the materials that I needed. I tended to be a
develop the piece as I go type builder back then. Now days it is easier to
sell a piece to the customer being able to show him the details of what he
is going to spend a few thousand dollars on.
I find that I can think just as easily at the computer and see if my idea
works and or looks decent immediately. I very seldom have to buy more wood
after the initial purchase any more because I have all the details of what
I need, knock on wood. I typically don't have any wasted cuts because I
know from the drawing exactly how long to cut 98% of the pieces. Basically
I can make changes on the computer and present different ideas to the
customer and go with the one that he prefers. After doing this for 30
years, I want to build when I am out in the shop not solve problems, I have
done that before and that way is not efficient for me.