Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default skip diving - whats the best you have rescued?

On 1 Mar 2009 18:06:05 GMT, Adrian wrote:

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

There is a minimum speed that vehicles must be able to do before they
can use the motorway.

Which is...?

(With authoritative reference, of course)

Laws HA 1980 sects 16, 17 & sch 4,
MT(E&W)R regs 3(d), 4 & 11,
MT(E&W)(A)R, R(S)A sects 7, 8 & sch 3, RTRA sects 17(2) & (3),
MT(S)R reg 10

Oh, look, a handy c'n'p of the references from the bottom of Highway Code
rule 253. Which, by the way, doesn't mention any minimum achievable speed.

Any links to any of those? The only ones of those I've found online (HA80
s16, s17) also don't contain any mention of a speed.

I notice you conveniently forget to mention what that minimum speed is.

So - what is this minimum speed?

Back when I was a learner and again when I was training to be an
instructor, I was taught that vehicles must be able to maintain a minimum
speed of 30mph to be allowed to use a motorway.

It's just reminded me of a company I worked for where the foreman once
drove a crane (not on motorways) with a maximum speed of 12mph from
Manchester to a job in Cornwall!

SteveW