Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex3 Vortex3 is offline

Default CCTV effective distance to read a number plate.

"Owain" wrote in message
Vortex3 wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you are wanting to achieve (permanent
installation?) but I would be inclined to look for some kind of HDV
camcorder - preferably CCD rather than CMOS - as a starting point.

Megapixel IP CCTV camera is probably what is needed. Much more
controllable, with the camera able to do its own motion detection and
record different resolutions at different times.

http://www.networkwebcams.co.uk/index.php?cPath=99

There's a quiet, but fairly responsive, forum on the site as well

Owain

The issue with IP cameras is the compression they use.

The danger is that all the high fequency data is trashed, and therefore the
plate in this instance would be illegible anyhow.