Posted to uk.d-i-y
chili-girl chili-girl is offline

Default CCTV effective distance to read a number plate.

For a normal CCTV camera (that is linked to a PC capture card) and on
a fine sunny day.

Is there a typical distance you can read a number plate.

With one of the SafeCore CCTV 1/3" SONY Colour WDR & ICR(True
Day&Night) Camera (Hi-Res.) cameras 752x582 picture element, 520 lines
resolution, 0.1 Lux / F1.2 day, 0.001 Lux / F1.2 at night
with IR switching and with effective IR illumination.

Lens fitted is a 1/3" 3.5-8mm Vari-Focal Lens, DC drive auto iris
Apertu F1.4

1 - Is there a typical distance you can read a number plate.
2 - Would I then be able to read a number plape at say 25m.
3 - What would the picture be like at night with IR on, or are they
just too grainy
4 - Or are my problems only due to the PC capture card.