Jeff Gorman

Default Bending and retempering files

"hedgeog" wrote

: I need to bend some round and half round files to use a rifflers. Can
: anyone point me in the direction of a website that gives the details of
: re-tempering the files after I've bent them.

Although theory suggests that re-hardening should be done, I've made limited
use of bent rasps without instant deterioration of the cut. Maybe the rasps
will serve quite well for most timbers if left untreated.

: If I'm not mistaken the
: process involves getting the file red hot and then quenching in oil. Then
: bringing the file up to a specific temperature and or color for a
sustained
: period of time, and then quenching or letting it cool slowly, but I'm not
: sure which.

From what I've read, there is more to it than that. The correct process
involves, I believe, in heating/cooling the files while encased in clay.
Presumably the points could be eroded by exidation during the heating and
then be cooled too rapidly
during quenching, thus making the metal too hard and therefore very brittle.

Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email address is username@ISP