Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] LEGEND65@yahoo.com is offline

Default Sketchup 7

On Feb 28, 11:44 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Methinks the "average woodworker" is likely to be a nailbender. Somehow
I don't think that anyone in this forum aspires to be an average
woodworker, so I'm not sure I understand where you're wanting to go with
this...

All I was really going for was that using that approach in Sketchup
isn't the only way to effectively use it. It just depends on what you
want to get out of it.

I can understand how that might be true for work that is primarily
decorative. On the other hand, if you decide to build a clock with
wooden works or something requiring precisely interacting parts, you'll
find that your results will be more satisfying if you exercise your
creativity /before/ you start building.

True, but then you might very well want to model things like gears in
a program that already has built in functions where you plug in the
diameter and number of teeth and spits out a drawing of the gear
(maybe such a thing exists for sketchup, don't know). And so maybe
you don't need to go to the trouble of importing that into sketchup,
maybe just a circle will do. Maybe you're buying plans for that whole
mechanism, so you don't bother with anything but a simple object that
has the key reference points that interface with the rest.

I think most of us aren't doing stuff like this guy: http://www.woodthatworks.com

-Kevin