Posted to alt.home.repair
Jesse Jesse is offline

Default remote control question

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:23:35 -0500, Frank
wrote:

Cheri wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:39:40 -0800 (PST), rogv
wrote:

I have an old Mitsubishi Tv and the remote control does not work.
The only way to add cable TV stations is through the menu of the
remote control.
Can I use any universal remote control to add the stations or it has
to be a Mitsubishi remote?

That's what makes them universal, but otoh, special keys on the
original remote may not be duplicated on universals. If this ever or
often affects the Menu command, I don't know.

I do have a tv, different brand but I forget which, which came without
a remote, and the yard sale. Eventually I was using 2 or even 3
remotes depending on which function I wanted to control . After that,
I found one remote by the maker of the tv that controlled everything,
except for Menu. This may have nothing to do with your situation,
but it's somewhat similar.

thanks

I have an older Mitsubishi too, and the universal doesn't do some of the
functions, such as picture in picture and menu.

Cheri

Discovered this myself yesterday when we had a power outage and TV
defaults were set on re-powering and I needed to switch from normal TV
to CATV using a new universal remote. Fortunately the set itself had
the button on it.

A quick way to test the remote is to view the optic with a digital
camera. You will see the remote flash on the camera if remote is OK.
For your information should you wish. Jesse