Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default OT Road numbers

E Z Peaces wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
I think I have heard this before but can't find it searching. I know
even roads run e/w and odd roads run n/s. What I have not been able
to find is block numbers. If the building address numbers increase
you are going north?

How about e/w?

I 85 runs 509 miles E and 338 miles N. How come they call it a N/S road?

'Cuz it runs generally SW to NE and it's either odd or even; there's no
other choice...

I suspect the primary reason it got the odd designation is that it
terminates (or orignates, depending on one's reference point) in I-95
rather than, say heading from Atlanta to Charlotte/Raleigh, say, from
whence it would likely have been even-numbered.

In 1765, Parliament passed an act requiring houses in towns to be
numbered. The first house on the street, presumably coming from the
center of town, was #1. Odd numbers were normally on the left.

Until you turned around, anyway...