Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Please help ID this capacitor

On Feb 28, 10:35*am, tommi wrote:

I've heard tantalum capacitors can get noisy or break down over time.

The device in my photo is used to power a microphone.

Those are 'orange drop' style tantalum capacitors. If it's
used for power supply bypassing, there's no problem.
If, however, it's used for DC blocking the capacitor
could be in series with your microphone signal.

The seal of such capacitors is fragile (i.e. handling or
aging can break 'em open), and a good axial-package
aluminum might be more reliable...

I wouldn't replace it, myself, but it wouldn't be my first
choice for the application.