Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Sketchup 7

wrote in message
I can always go back to the drawing and add
more, but if I took the approach of having to model every last detail
before I got to go in the shop, that would just suck all the fun out
of it.

It's a hobby in itself to some, and maybe even an end in itself to some
others. I don't recall anyone here suggesting doing that, though. I tend to
draw in the tenons. Having already thought it through, it doesn't make sense
to NOT make the notation. Doing so might even help keep me from cutting that
perfect fitting mortise someplace I didn't want one. Really, it's not a big
deal; just offset the end profile and pull and push it to the right shape.
Adding a haunch is even easier.

If I didn't draw them in, I'd stand at the bench and sketch them in with a
pencil. If I didn't like pencils even, maybe I'd just go straight for the
saw. That's valid, too. Just cut it over length, mark the shoulders, and
have at it. But you still have to think it through at some point.

My personal limit for drudge work is finger joints. I don't have the
patience to grind them out on the tablesaw or router table. So, I never have
to worry about drawing them in SU. Not that I think it would be difficult.
Something like that is even more important to get right, to make sure the
fingers and spaces don't offer surprises somewhere else.