Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry[_7_] Larry[_7_] is offline

Default Sketchup 7

wrote in

ups.com:

On Feb 28, 10:24 am, Larry wrote:

I've posted this before but the best tutorial I've found
is athttp://www.srww.com/blog. You'll need to hunt for it
a bit but it's called "Drawing a bedside table". It's an 8
part tutorial that you can download in Word format or
follow it online. It covers a lot of the problems
discussed here including making components, using layers,
dimensioning, etc.

As I said elsewhere, the model exists to allow me to make
the piece. Putting more effort into the model than what is
needed to do that is a waste of time. Why do I need a
model of the drawer? All I need to make a drawer is
length, width, height, thickness of parts. That's it.
What is the point of modeling it beyond that? What do I
need the tenons and mortises modeled for in the first
place, and what benefit does showing them at each leg
accomplish? Why do I need to model the dovetail recess in
the front legs if I am going to be cutting the dovetails on
the rail and using that to mark the location of the recess?
This isn't mass production where one needs drawings such
that I could give the drawing of an individual part to
someone who has no other knowledge of the rest of the piece
and have them produce the correct part.

-Kevin

For some of us that aren't as gifted as yourself, it helps us
think the plans through from start to finish. I haven't
reached the stage where I can build from pictures in my head.
I like to see what I'm building *before* I start. Helps me
avoid mistakes, and I'm full of them. Not sure who to credit
it to but can you say "precision cut firewood"? Yep, I've got
some of that...

Larry