Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default skip diving - whats the best you have rescued?

"Clot" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message

Thank you, I belong to your church. I cannot comprehend this idiot
use of speed cameras and that speed is the cause of accidents.

That is why they need the speed traps, because you and others don't
comprehend.

Sorry, I cannot agree with you on this point. It is inappropriate speed
that kills. Without the recent 20 mph zones around schools, I would reduce
my speed quite often to much less due to the risk to all in the locality.

So they don't create a problem for you then.
Its nice to see someone who actually wont be breaking the speed limits as
you obviously drove as slow as they have been set before they were set.

Interestingly, many of these new limits are time dependent - at long last
a recognition of inappropriate speed.

Of course it is if inappropriate.

Like when the speed limit is set lower than you want to drive?

Not at all, please see above.

When the rain is thundering down whilst travelling on the motorway,
I have had to reduce my speed to 20 mph and less for all's safety
sake, ( crumbles, I recall having to drop to less than 11mph on the
M11 circa 15 years ago due to the conditions) .

You are lucky I was forced to stop as it was impossible to see five
feet the rain was so heavy.
Of course I choose a good spot under a bridge some of the others just
stopped where they were.

I frequently used to commute on a motorway in the Midlands, whilst a
lady in her 50's ( I'm just still in my 50's) used to drive at circa
45 mph causing HGVs to overtake and cause risks to all. Why she was
not pulled over and banned escapes me.

Because she is allowed to drive at 45 mph on a motorway.
You lack of understanding of the law appears to be a problem.

Ah, I think I see the problem. Is there not a saying that the law is for
the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools? This truly is the
point. Unthinking folk have accidents in speed restricted zones due to
driving at inappropriate speed for the conditions. "But I was only doing
30."

An appropriate speed would be the speed limit or slower.
I don't see the problem.

If you or your vehicle is unfit to drive on a motorway under good
conditions at 56 mph (the limit I think for HGVs), one should be done for
obstruction and causing danger to others.

So now you think people should drive at the speed limit and not one mph
less.

The appropriate speed for that woman may have been 45 mph.

I have to confess to having being done for doing 36 mph ( I think it
was without checking, it might have been 39), a few years ago just
inside a recently moved limit, where it was 40 mph for many years.
The Income Crew sited their camera so that all could be seen to
exceed the new 30 mph at the transition point and were clobbered
with no regard to safety issues. I did not pursue the case but I am
sure that my rear bumper was still in the 40mph zone when I was done!

That isn't speeding, its driving without due care and attention!
You were allowed to be done for speeding as a let off.

Thanks for that! You're quite right, I was watching road conditions and
had abided by the 40mph zone for the last mile. I should have been on the
lookout for the revenue chasers instead!

You should know the speed limit at all times, it is signed.
If you don't then you are driving without due care and attention.
I would suggest that 40 mph is too fast for you as you obviously can't see
the signs when driving at that speed.
What other hazards do you miss if you can't see the signs?
Probably just little things like kids, cyclists, etc.