Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
tommi tommi is offline

Default Please help ID this capacitor

On Sat 28Feb 15:08, att wrote
"tommi" wrote:

Can you help me ID a small capacitor. The photo shows two
identical capacitors which are marked with: 225F *
Underneath that marking is a + sign followed by a long line.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2kn8u0.jpg showing AA battery holder.

(1) Are they likely to be tantalum capacitors?

(2) Does that marking mean they are 220nF or are they 220pF? Or
some other value?

2.2uf, voltage unknown. They sure look like tantalums.

I've heard tantalum capacitors can get noisy or break down over time.

The device in my photo is used to power a microphone. So any noise
from it would be very unwelcome.

Is it worth changing those capacitors to another type? Would
something like a polyester capacitor have enough capacity for 2.2uF
and still be physically small enough to fit in the space on the
circuit board shown in my photo?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2kn8u0.jpg

--
nb:groups widened