Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_2_] Steve Barker[_2_] is offline

Default Front loading washers - any good?

Van Chocstraw wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:50:49 -0500, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
I've had plain old top loaders for years. I know the front loaders
are supposed to save water and soap but it seems like all I read about
them are horror stories of endless repairs, almost mandatory yearly
servicing's, etc. What's the real story on these? My top loaders
seem to last for years and years without ever needing service.
Do front loaders go "BANG, BANG, BANG" when they spin dry?

sometimes.

I would think that a front loader with a horizontal tub would always be
out of balance for spinning since gravity pulls all the cloths to the
bottom.

they start out very slow. (they are a dc variable speed motor) then
they slowly go faster and faster. If they are out of balance, they stop
an start the process over. Self balancing. They will only spin as fast
as the balance dictates. i've seen our start over two or three times,
then it gets it distributed evenly and spins like a mother!

(whirlpool duet) no problems in 3 years so far. We love them.

steve