Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Cost of adding on

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote

So? What difference does it make that the construction cost could
exceed the current value of his home?

He can do whatever he wants with his money, but there may not be much
payback in added value. That all depends on factors such as the size of
the house in relation to others in the neighborhood, style, how the
addition looks, etc. If he is going to enjoy the house and the
neighborhood and live there the rest of his life, it is a good deal no
matter what anyone else thinks.

Correct. not everything is in resale value. I am already the top end of my
neighborhood and adding the sunroom made it more so.

The real difference is we like it and could afford it. Come sales time, we
will have to price under what the house would be worth in another area, but
it will *sell* faster as it has 'more' than the nearby places for the same
price.

My realtor is also a friend who comes to dinner and says he can sell the
place as is for 170,000$ when we bought for 83,500$. He said if selling,
not to replace the carpet as wont get the money back. Would take him about
2 weeks in today's market.

Now in a better more upscale area? (not that this one is bad mind you, just
older and smaller houses) He said 210,000$ easy and might hit 240,000$. Not
possible here, but it's that level house and buyers arent totally stupid.

My main cost detraction is 1.5 baths in a 4 BR house but there's no easy way
to add another and cant recoup the cost if we did it (nor do we need it, the
second toilet is handy but need no more).