Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default Bearings and Thrust Problems...

#1 - Grease change - Use a grease that has extra pressure additives.
This will help your bearings survive the incipient thrust loads by
keeping the boundary layer intact.

We are using a Du Pont Teflon Severe Service Grease now - Part DGS616101 if
it matters. Not sure there is much out there better unless you go exotic.

#2 - Cheap and easy way...wave washers. Old trick used by electric
motor manufactures to solve thrust loads without going to an angular
contact bearing. You might have to experiment....and it depends on how
high your loads are if this will work.

My thoughts exactly... Until they sent them back to me flattened and broken
into pieces. I *really* wish I could go to their site and see the
application first hand, but in 10 years, we've made less than a half dozen
trips to customers because we have very few problems... Hopefully, this
won't be the exception long-term. We tried stacking multiples with the same
results and more will only increase linear "float" which causes chatter and
then more bad stuff.

If I knew what size bearings you are using I could offer more help.
If you know what the loads are (radial and axial) and speed I can run
some life calculations and give you an *expected* life.
Since I have no real idea how your application is set up and what type
of fits you are using in your housing and shaft I can only offer
*general* suggestions.

Wish I could tell you! It's a super-secret. G

and yes...I am a bearing engineer.

Maybe via private e-mail then... But not just yet. Still looking for a
simple solution.

The other alternative is to go to an Angular contact or if there is
enough room try using matched sets of ball bearings or even a small
tapered roller bearing.

Unfortunately, no room. It's pushed to the minimum limits now. Imagine
trying to get two chucks 0.875" away from each other and drilling 0.326"
holes... Same rotation. That's what I'm dealing with here. Intermediate
gear and bearings and all...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.