Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dot matrix printer

Tim Lamb explained :
I confidently expected dot matrix printers to be dirt cheap by now and half
promised one as a birthday pressie. 150ukp they must be joking!

For 70ukp I can get an entry level laser inc. usb cable. Is there something I
should know?

Yes, they are a precision technology only now needed for the printing
of multi-part forms and so are now very expensive. A laser is the way
to go now, for an irregularly used printer.

My current one is is an ex-commercial HP with a network card and
duplexer which I picked up ten years ago for £20. It had low mileage
and is is still running on its as it came toner cartridge. I did though
spend a £1 on some replacement pickup rollers which tend to perish.

That printer is on my network, able to be printed to from any of
several PC's, one of which is my grandson's PC who lives half a mile
away. I have just rigged up a wireless link to cover the half mile, so
he has access to our broadband connection. It's a bit of a bugger for
him when it needs paper to be added though :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)