Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wmbjkREMOVE@citlink.net is offline

Default low cost hydraulic puller needed

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:52:34 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

We need to make a custom auto repair tool for extracting a bushing.
The bushing is ~~2" ID and 1.5" length.

The needed puller is best envisioned as large Greenlee punch; the inner
die will force the hollow donut into the outer cup; the cup fits atop
notches on the car frame.

The "punch" part is not the problem; it's the force needed.

Some people have made pullers with screw threads; but with conventional
thread, and the high forces, they soon get trashed. We considered buying
Acme threaded rod & nuts, but cranking down on it is a PITA anyhow as the
far end will spin...and shift off center.

Ideally, we take something that costs about what a Harbor Fright bottle
jack does, and make it pull not push. Any great ideas??

No ideas, but some of you might get a chuckle from this photo
http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/images/pinpuller.jpg of a somewhat
similar project - to pull 4 seized pins out of two old road graders. I
built a frame to accommodate the ram from my 50 ton press (10,000 psi
pump), and welded the frame to each pin in succession. On a couple of
them I thought I was going to run out of hydraulic force just before
they popped free. A whole day's work required because decades ago some
folks couldn't be bothered to use a little ant-seize.

Wayne