Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default "inner room" and fire escapes

I've been reading the building regulations on fire saftey but want to
check I have understood correctly.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl..._ADB1_2006.pdf

I want to be sure what an "inner room" is. As I understand it, a
ground floor room that has a door onto the hall which leads directly
to the front door is not an inner room so it does not need to have a
secondary means of escape. An inner room is one that is accessed via
anothe "room". I'm assuming the hall is not a room. Is this correct?

This is relevant to me because I am contemplating a change to the
house that means that one ground floor room will have no windows but
just a door to a the courtyard (3m x 3m) which has no further exits.
the room is on the ground floor an has a door into the hall. It's a
conventional 2 story victorian terraced house.

thanks for any help

Robert