Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default dot matrix printer

PeterC wrote:

I used to refill cartridges on HP4P and 3 HP5Ns with toner from U Refill
Toner Ltd:

http://www.refilltoner.com/

and never had any trouble; buying 3 or 4 lots at a time came out to about
£15 each (about 3 years ago.

You snipped the following from the posting of mine that you replied to:

"I also have an older HP LaserJet 4 which has none of these problems. It
is totally reliable, accepts cheap off-brand toner cartridges and the
powerfully hot fuser roller makes sure that the toner sticks firmly to
the paper. As long as you don't mind the toner being slightly grey, the
results with cheap toner are just fine."

Cheap toner doesn't seem to work in the 1018, I suspect because the
fuser element doesn't get hot enough.