Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blocked HVAC duct

On Feb 27, 8:48*am, Kevin Ricks wrote:
wrote:
* *I have a HVAC duct that is almost totally blocked. *It has
been this way since my home was constructed. *I suspect a crimped vent
or trash in the vent. * The problem is the obstruction appears to be a
good distance away from either end. *I have easy access from the
basement and from the second floor outlet. *In between those is a long
run with several 90º elbows. *

* *I don't want to start tearing up floors and walls to correct
the problem. * I am looking or suggestions. I was thinking of a camera
that could be snaked through the vent. *Since I don't know which way
some of the turns may be just snaking a standard snake would not
likely be really helpful

* *Suggestions? *Sources for a rent a camera? *

Are you sure there is not a damper installed in the duct?
My system has dampers on all ducts located near the furnace at the main
plenum. Look for a small handle sticking out he side of the duct(s).

Kevin

I'd try the local tool rental shops for a camera. Or take a look
online. There are cheap cameras you can hook to a notebook PC. You
might be able to use one of those connected to a snake with a
penlight, etc.

If it's a small duct, It's also possible that with multiple 90 turns
and a long run, the duct isn't blocked, it just can't carry much air.