Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default pass through headphone jack help needed

jakdedert wrote in news:Rrqpl.8820$b9.3380
@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

If it's not a low resistance, then possibly the switch on the jack
doesn't directly interrupt the signal to the speakers, but switches the
speakers off electronically.

I'd be surprised if that's the case, perhaps someone else might know.

I don't know in this particular case but did 'fight' a problem with a
laptop that I thought was due to a bad headphone connection.
Even changed the motherboard. Didn't fix the problem.

Turned out to be software.

The danged OS 'beep' was driving me crazy. It would come out of the
computer, LOUD, even when I disabled the speaker and turned volume all the
way down. On previous laptops I had stuck a 'dummy' plug in the speaker
jack to kill the beep but that didn't work on this one.

The 'beep' driver had to be disabled to kill the beep on that particular
model because the software routes beep to the speakers even if the
headphones are plugged in. 'Ordinary audio' would go the the phones rather
than the speaker but the beep still went to the speaker.

So, yes, there are computers that use software to control where sound goes.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap