Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default dot matrix printer

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:19:07 +0000, Bruce wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:

OK chaps.

Enough already:-)

Cheapo mono laser it is.

At one or two pages per week it still makes expensive copy but much less
aggravation.

But beware buying a new cheap mono laser that takes expensive toner
cartridges. I bought an HP LaserJet 1018 very cheaply on a special
offer at Staples - £49 against the usual street price of £79 to £99.

Genuine HP toner cartridges cost £72 at Staples and £63 at PC World. So
down to Cartridge World and I got a remanufactured toner cartridge for a
mere £29.

Wonderful, except that the toner is grey, not black, and it has the
consistency of sand. Not much of it will actually stay on the page, and
if you try printing half tones (photographs) as part of your documents
they suffer from severe banding.

Yes, I took the cartridge back and got a replacement from a different
batch. It was just as bad.

I used to refill cartridges on HP4P and 3 HP5Ns with toner from U Refill
Toner Ltd:

http://www.refilltoner.com/

and never had any trouble; buying 3 or 4 lots at a time came out to about
£15 each (about 3 years ago.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.