Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default dot matrix printer

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:31:00 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

For 70ukp I can get an entry level laser inc. usb cable. Is there
something I should know?

Yes monochrome lasers are very cheap these days. Been using an LJ1200 for
years now it just works and produces nice clean crisp text that doesn't
smudge or wash off in the rain.

Seriously looking at getting the HP Colour Laserjet CP1515n previously
mentioned as No.1 Daughter is now doing much more homework that needs
colour print outs and the Epson Stylus Photo 890 I have is very greedy on
expensive and occasionally hard to come by ink. Not to mention the quality
on ordinary paper is not that good.

I have exactly the same issue - the vast majority of output in my house
is B&W but we do have occasional need for colour. So binning my Epson
Stylus Photo 760 inkjet in favour of a monochrome laserjet isn't an
option; I wouldn't mind running them in parallel but for the fact that I
know the inkjet would always be bunged up every time I wanted to use it
if that was only fortnightly, say.

I don't know much about laser printers, especially colour ones - but if
I bought a colour laser printer as a replacement for the inkjet, and
continued using it 95% for monochrome work, would the consumables work
out far more expensive (for B&W output) than if I bought a monochrome
printer? Or does that depend on the printer? Are colour models
inherently any less reliable?

David