Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dot matrix printer

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Be aware that some of the cheaper end of the range printers are "host
based" ie they rely on the host computer to do the grunt work. This
almost invariably means that you must have it plugged into a windows
machine.

Not necessarily. You can usually network them.

The cheap ones only have USB and no expansion slot for a network card.
If a printer has USB and ethernet they tend to have a proper printer
lanaguage as well but not all some have a maker specific language only.

The problems arise finding suitable drivers for machines other than
windows.

Which effectively makes the printer windows only.

I'm sure there's the equivalant of the prog I use on RISC OS for other
operating systems. Lets you print from it to any printer that runs on
Windows. Also can be used to open non native files or URLs that are on the
RISC OS machine on the appropriate Windows one.

Just for info full details he-

http://www.arsvcs.demon.co.uk/rci/uniprint/index.html

--
*What boots up must come down *