Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Mothballing a swimming pool

Jon Danniken wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote:
you don't drain a pool unless you want massive amounts of trouble and
stand a chance of never using it again.

Aye, they drained one around here a few years ago. Then it rained, raising
the water table up to the point where it floated the pool a few inches.

That turned out to be a big mess.

Jon

Depends on local soil conditions and how the pool was built. Town I grew
up in had a huge late 1940s outdoor municipal pool, like Olympic size 12
lane, plus a T with a dive area. They emptied it every year. But the
concrete was thick and heavily rebarred, and on that end of town, there
was a thick layer of gravel about 10-12 feet down under everything. (as
a wee lad, I saw LOTS of basements go in, less than a mile from there.)
Water table spikes were not a problem around there. A mile the other
direction, however, they just had a century flood, last summer.

--
aem sends...