Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Hill[_2_] Chris Hill[_2_] is offline

Default Simple solar battery charger

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:26:00 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Told a guy I'd do some research for him into a small simple solar system
for use in maintaining the charge on a 12 volt automotive battery. Found
this at Harbor Freight:

It's a 12 volt, 15 watt panel for cheap ($70).

I'm thinking that all he needs to do is wire it up to his battery to
trickle-charge it. I think I'd add a diode (IN200x) in series for
protection. So will this work?

Since they don't list the output voltage for the panel, except to say
"12 volts" in the description, I guess one could opt for this larger one:

(20 watt panel, made for charging auto & RV batteries, $190)

Without a charge controller, it will probably boil the battery. There
are items made to do what you want, a plain solar panel with no
regulation isn't one.