Posted to rec.woodworking
SteveA SteveA is offline

Default Spray Finishing Equipment Inquiry

I am nearing the end of my first kitchen cabinet project and it has been a
true learning experience. Having just gotten in my outsourced cabinet
drawers I have started looking an hvlp spray equipment to spray a coat of
poly to protect the natural wood and will be using the same for the drawer
fronts and doors (when I start them).

There seems to be a full gamut of equipment at all price levels, and not
having done this before I figured I would pick the groups brain in an
attempt to spend once on equipment that is appropriate. Besides spraying
poly, my thought is to utilize the sprayer to spray a natural stain on the
door and drawer fronts and then poly over.

Thoughts on gun manufacturer, (I am currently looking at DeVilbiss Finish
Line kit with what I can hope is a large nozzle spread from 1.3, 1.5, 1.8 &
2.2 tips) but there are a vast number out there, my local shop has vaper
guns one with a 2.3 tip, with no other in stock. I am making the assumption,
that depending on how much you thin out the material to be sprayed, you
could in fact thin it out so that a smaller nozzle is needed, or is this a
reach?

Thoughts on spray poly and manufacturers? while I did the faceframes with
minwax clear satin since everything else is a lot more prominent I do not
think a change would be noticeable.

I am open for any and all suggestions, tricks

SteveA