Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Milo Milo is offline

Default Using caps to balance 440V RPC

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Milo" milo@oil filter.hughes.net wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Milo" milo@oil filter.hughes.net wrote:

[snip]

If I understand the description, the autotransformer is three phase.
If
so, one can the treat autotransformer and motor as a unit, and apply
the
balancing capacitors to the idler motor as if it were connected to a
220
volt 3 phase motor. Varying the taps on the autotransformer doesn't
sound right.

A wiring diagram would be useful.

Joe Gwinn

This is not professional, but should be helpful.
I don't know if pics are allowed here.

Pictures are not allowed.

So here is a link.
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...urrent=RPC.jpg

It is clear.

The autotransformer is three phase, as suspected. Changing taps on this
autotransformer will have an effect to be sure, but not an obvious one.

Joe Gwinn

Peace
Milo
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/mholroyd/

I have updated my drawing to show the caps installed.
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/mholroyd/?action=view&current=RPC.jpgI'm
at a loss as to how to even out the voltage. More caps? Chuck the
transformer, and rewire the 440V lathe motor to 220?

Just to recap (no pun intended) Volt readings from idler (without being
connected to transformer) A-C =238V, A-B=255V, C-B=218V

Readings from transformer output, with idler hooked to the transformer
input.

H-1-H2=493V, H1-H3=501, H2-H3=517